Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hawaii can wait

I'm back in the US after my trip to India. Since this was my first trip to India in 9+ years, everyone has the same remark for me - India must have changed a lot. In certain aspects, it has but I think the bulk of the India experience is unchanged.

Some of what I liked:
- Communications (cell phones, internets and the google). People are connected like never before, they revel in the air waves around them and cell phone calls are answered promptly irrespective of other conversations around them. A socially-done thing? Or maybe, incoming calls are free so no one wants to miss out on a freebie opportunity. Can't blame them, I'd do the same.
- Air quality in Delhi is much better. It seems the move to CNG by autos, buses and some cars has had a significant impact.
- The airport in Delhi seems better too. I found the entire check-in, immigration and security process efficient and well executed.
- Health awareness among populace with physical activity on the rise. Everyone's a yoga expert here, promoting the benefits of pranayama and asanas.
- The spiritual experience in India is well alive. There is a temple very close to home, Bhairon Mandir and I was quite fascinated by the activities in the temple. Its right on busy Ring road, folks stop in their vehicles right on the Ring road and pay their respects. The temple itself is full of devotees, rituals, diyas, incense, the ringing sounds of the bells and the color. I truly enjoyed visiting the temple, and the festive season also added its own atmosphere to the experience. I realized there that this is something I missed here all these years.

The stuff thats not changed for the better are traffic, poverty, the me-first mindset - People love to keep their own homes clean, but wont hesitate to throw junk and household trash over to their neighbor's backyard or in front of the neighbor's house. The HOA's (referred to as RWA - residents welfare association) are out of control there just as we have here - they come up with rules and regulations that make no sense, and exhibit favoritism based on politcal beliefs of members. The BJP-Congress rivalry spills over to the HOA's. Parking is a huge problem. There have been instances of gun-fights over parking in so-called high-end neighborhood's. The conspicous consumption and the avenues for it, and the general display of wealth is something that had me thinking, especially when one sees the extreme poverty on the streets. This disparity in India always existed, but now it just seems to be more visible. Law and order, and the agenda of politicians are other downsides that needs its own blog.

Overall, it was just great to be in India. The familiar sights, the sounds, family ties, the charming women, the variety in food, the fresh vegetables and markets, the respect shown to senior citizens... I think I can continue dwelling on the positives.

I am looking forward to spending my next vacation again in India. I feel I have a lot to catch up on, plus hope to do some hiking in the Himalayan foothills or in the Ladakh area....after many visits these past years, Hawaii can wait.

No comments: