Thursday, October 9, 2008

No problem aunty

One thing that seems to stand out here is respect for senior citizens. I noticed this on my first day here when we were picking up parathas from the local dhaba. Our car was blocking off a motorcyclist lunch-eater, who came out of the dhaba. On seeing his way blocked, comes to me with a fairly rough swagger and gestures with his hand for me to move the car (I'm in the passenger seat). I can't do much, my mother opens the door and tells him "ek minute mein move karte hain beta". The guy's attitude changes and he replied with "no problem aunty". My Dad comes back with the rotis some 10 minutes later, but the dude did not complain again.

Again today, I walked over to the MTNL office with my Dad. The folks there were so polite to him. He didnt have his signature on file, so they wanted his ID, which he didnt have. So, they told him he could send it over with anyone, and assuring him that he need not make a second trip to their office himself.

1 comment:

Arke said...

Hmm... me thinks this respect, especially from Govt Babus is more of an exception than the rule.